Skip to main content Skip to footer



The Zoning Department is responsible for the assessment and issuance of permits in addition to enforcement of the City of Kent Zoning Code. Before any new construction, addition to a building, accessory structure, or sign is erected, a zoning permit is required. This includes:

  • Decks
  • Fences
  • Sheds
  • Swimming pools

Structures may not be erected, constructed, enlarged, moved, or structurally altered, except in conformity with all of the City of Kent Zoning Code regulations. A variance from the Board of Zoning Appeals and/or Building Permits may also be needed.  Determinations will be made by staff. If a building permit or variance is required, it must be obtained before the commencement of work.

Land Use

The City of Kent Zoning Code also determines land use.  Before a business starts up or property is purchased or leased for a use, zoning should be contacted to determine if the proposed use is legal there.

Zoning Use Certificates

A Zoning Use Certificate must be obtained before the sale of any property or change in use. Please send any Zoning Use Certificate requests to Kailyn Cyrus at

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies.